With our ongoing behind-the-scenes work, we’re cutting to the chase with a batch of headlines today. The more we work in the background now, the sooner we’ll be ready for a full-speed-ahead launch into a 14-school SEC universe.
Per ardua ad astra.
1. Anthony Grant’s decision to suspend some star players in the middle of a tourney-push isn’t sitting well with everyone. (Wins are all that matter, doncha know?)
2. Bama’s season is now on the brink.
3. Arkansas is now 0-8 on the road after last night’s loss at Tennessee.
4. This writer says the Razorback football team has too many question marks to start talking about national titles.
5. Walk-on point guard Josh Wallace is balancing hoops and books at Auburn.
6. Diminutive freshman Anthony Hickey came up big for LSU this week.
7. If Ole Miss is to reach the NCAA tourney, tonight’s game with RPI-friendly Vanderbilt is a must win.
8. Rick Stansbury isn’t surprised by Mississippi State’s road woes…
10. Erving Walker is now Florida’s all-time assists leader.
11. Gator tight end AC Leonard is now the 10th player to be arrested since Will Muschamp took over UF’s football program. (He’s been charged with domestic battery.)
12. Georgia cornerback Sanders Commings has been suspended two games for his arrest on a domestic violence charge last month.
13. When players look to transfer from Athens, Mark Richt let’s ‘em… with no stipulations.
14. South Carolina’s Malik Cooke signed to play for then-Nevada coach Mark Fox. Last night the player — now at South Carolina — beat the coach — now at Georgia.
15. John Calipari opened up Kentucky’s basketball practice yesterday. ESPN cameras and 1,500 people showed up to watch. A practice.
16. Joker Phillips needs to find another assistant who’ll be chased by bigger schools.
17. After nearly 70 years, the UK Athletics Association Board of Directors is going bye-bye.
18. Tomorrow is D-Day for the NCAA-probed South Carolina athletic department.
19. With last night’s victory, South Carolina is within one win of avoiding its worst-ever SEC hoops record. Huzzah!
20. Some Tennessee fans won’t like this: Heading to Lane Kiffin’s staff in LA, Tee Martin says Derek Dooley never called him about the Vols’ receivers coach opening.
21. Vol freshman b’baller Jarnell Stokes says “there’s no way we should lose any more games” after crushing Arkansas last night.
22. UT cruised without starting center Kenny Hall who’s been indefinitely suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.
23. Facing Ole Miss tonight, Vanderbilt’s Jeffery Taylor is closing in on the school’s all-time scoring record.
24. Vandy officials are looking into whether or not Steve Tchiengang punched Kentucky’s Marquis Teague during last Saturday’s loss to the Wildcats.