Today’s gonna be a quickie due to radio hits in Jacksonville, Knoxville and all across the state of Mississippi. (Ya never know, a little Christmas shopping might be on the agenda, too.) Before we break away, here’s a look at some of the headlines from across the SEC today…
1. The SEC racked up at last night’s College Football Awards.
2. Alabama’s Trent Richardson and Barrett Jones picked up national honors at the event.
3. This one’s been making the rounds all week and now more folks are jumping on it. Six years after the fact, former NFL player Heath Evans says Nick Saban stepped over a convulsing player and showed he could care less about his players. But the player who was hospitalized said at the time that it made him feel good about his team to see Saban visit him in the hospital. So why didn’t we run with this earlier? Heath Evans played at… wait for it… Auburn. (That rivalry skews people’s views. See: Danny Sheridan.)
4. In addtion to Mark Stoops (Florida State) and Everett Withers (North Carolina), South Carolina’s Ellis Johnson appears to be on Auburn’s short list of potential defensive coordinators.
5. Paul Petrino is already back to work as Arkansas’ new (old) offensive coordinator.
6. For now, inside linebackers coach Reggie Johnson is serving as the Hogs’ interim defensive coordinator.
7. Another day, more awards and honors for the LSU football team.
8. Meanwhile, freshman Johnny O’Bryant III is doing all he can for the Tigers’ basketball team.
9. Ole Miss — 7-1 on the season — is still waiting for two players to be academically cleared.
10. Mississippi State’s Dee Bost says Renardo Sidney doesn’t need to score a point as long as he plays hard when he’s on the floor.
11. Will Muschamp says Florida needs to “play well and we need to win” the Gator Bowl against Ohio State. (If the Gators don’t win they’ll post their first losing record since 1979.)
12. Muschamp says he expects Charlie Weis’ departure to be the last from his staff this offseason.
13. This Georgia-based writer thinks the Dawgs and Mark Richt will wind up with a new contract being signed, but “you never know.”
14. Kentucky is shooting fewer threes this season.
15. It’ll seem like old times when unbeaten UK travels to unbeaten Indiana this weekend.
16. More honors and awards continue to roll in for South Carolina.
17. Derek Dooley is opening his arms to ex-Tennessee players (after rumors emerged that some ex-Vols had been getting the cold shoulder).
18. The SEC’s coaches put three UT defenders on their All-Freshmen team.
19. James Franklin says Vanderbilt’s fans are “hungry” for bowl success.
20. This writer says everyone’s for a college football playoff… but the players themselves.