Oh...and the SEC big wigs want to keep the cohesion of the conference...therefore, they are not going to ruffle feathers with Florida (to get FSU) or South Carolina (to get Clemson). What would ruffle their feathers you ask?? Hmmm... adding in teams in THEIR recruiting grounds. These schools like to be able to say "we are the only in-state school in the elite SEC", etc. Why would UF and USCe allow their main recruiting areas be shared?? They won't. Sorry Clemson.
While the “business” aspects of conference expansion suggest that Clemson would not be much of an addition to the SEC, there’s a loud bloc of fans who believe the league should grab schools that are nearby and easy to reach. Many of that group want Mike Slive to invite Clemson to come onboard.
But what’s the view from Clemson?
Travis Sawchik provides in today’s Charleston Post & Courier five reasons why the Tigers would want to join the SEC… and five reasons why they would not want to enter the league.
His reasons for making a move:
1. The SEC could provide more money
2. The Clemson-Carolina rivalry would get even hotter
3. The SEC would provide a more intriguing schedule
4. The toughness of the SEC would make Clemson tougher
5. If Clemson thinks the ACC is in danger, it should be proactive and get while the getting’s good
His reasons for staying put:
1. Clemson would have an easier time becoming nationally relevant in the weaker ACC
2. Clemson is 47-123-10 all-time against SEC teams not named South Carolina (And some people question Texas A&M’s record?)
3. Clemson can recruit just fine without joining the SEC
4. To join the SEC would be like “buying a stock at a 52-week high”
5. Clemson helped found the ACC and would lose 58 years of history by leaving
Looks like he had to put more work into finding reasons to stay put.