Thank you for posting the Mallett article! It was nice to finally see a journalist/analyst do some actual research into all the bogus rumors floating around while also debunking other popular misconceptions about his game. Very well done.
1. Auburn will have “extremely young people” on both sides of the ball this fall.
2. The Tigers’ Anthony Morgan feels at “home” back at running back.
3. The media seems to be more interested in Anthony Grant’s opinions about his old team — VCU — than his current team.
4. The future looks bright for next year’s Bama hoops team.
5. New Nick Saban assistant Chris Rumph is bringing energy to the Tide practice field.
6. Former Tide star Julio Jones will be attending the NFL draft (and bucking the wishes of the NFL Players Association). Good for him.
7. You know all those rumors about Ryan Mallett’s off-field issues? Well this reporter did a lot of digging into the former Arkansas QB’s past and found that “Ninety-nine percent of it seems positive to me.”
8. Through four practices, the guys trying to replace Mallett in Fayetteville have done “OK.”
9. Offensive tackle and early enrollee Brey Cook is settling in at Arkansas.
10. Here’s more — we mentioned this yesterday — on Mike Anderson’s plans to recruit in Memphis.
11. LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne continues to fly under the radar.
12. Defensive tackle Anthony Johnson is drawing notice due to his motor.
13. Dan Mullen says Mississippi State’s lack of depth at defensive end “really scary right now.”
14. Injuries and angry coaches became the theme for yesterday’s practice session.
15. State’s coaches are also busy shuffling linebackers.
16. Longtime MSU color analyst Jim Ellis will take over play-by-play duties now that Jack Cristil has retired.
17. The Ole Miss quarterback derby is still “really tight.”
18. David Lee’s new offensive system has “leveled everyone out,” according to UM quarterback-hopeful Nathan Stanley.
19. The #38 jersey of the late Chucky Mullins will return to action in Oxford this fall.