Content provided by Swamp Things – Gators Blog.
Tipoff for tonight’s men’s basketball season opener vs. UNC-Wilmington is only a few hours away, and for the Gators, that might be too long. Antsy for the first game since practice started a few weeks ago, the players spoke earlier this week about finally playing games.
“It’s been all competition. We’re kind of getting tired of playing against each other,” said freshman forward Patric Young. “We’re just beating each other up. We’re ready to beat on somebody else.”
They enter this first one and this season with high expectations. Ranked No. 9 in the preseason AP poll and No. 11 by the coaches, the Gators should be able to compete for an SEC title. Some NCAA tournament success, which none of these players have had here, is on the table as well.
So, as tipoff nears, here’s a look at the story lines around the Gators and tonight’s game:
1. Shooting a priority for UF men’s hoops in opener, Kevin Brockway, The Gainesville Sun
2. Depth should help UF guards, David Jones, Florida Today
3. Gators focus on meeting rising expectations on the court, Michael DiRocco, The Florida Times-Union
4. Florida returns experience but must manage expectations, Anthony Chiang, Orlando Sentinel
5. Can one good season change perceptions of Tomko?, Brian Mull, Wilmington (N.C.) StarNews